Author: Press Room

Award-winning alternative rock band Deftones have announced they’ll play a one-off show in Auckland next year. The band announced today they would play at Auckland’s Spark Arena on May 13.Deftones was formed by a group of friends in Sacramento, California in 1988, and have since sold more than 10 million records and garnered 10 billion-plus streams globally.Chino Moreno, Stephen Carpenter, Abe Cunningham, and Frank Delgado have since gone on to win multiple awards over the past three decades, including Grammys for Best Metal Performance in 2001 and Best Remixed Recording in 2022.Described as having “one of alternative rocks most dedicated…

Read More

A woman who made sex allegations against former top cop Jevon McSkimming was treated in a “confronting, appalling, shocking, and disgusting” way by authorities, Prime Minister Christopher Luxon says.Speaking to Breakfast, the PM agreed with a characterisation by Police Commissioner Richard Chambers that there was a cover-up in the caseIt follows the release of an Independent Police Conduct Authority report into how police handled complaints against former acting deputy commissioner McSkimming.”Yeah, I do,” Luxon said when asked if he agreed with Chambers’ characterisation of the case as a cover-up. “This is a big hit to integrity and trust for the…

Read More

By Susan Edmunds of RNZ United States President Donald Trump has raised the idea of a 50-year mortgage term to help first-home buyers – but would it work for New Zealanders trying to buy houses too? Media reported that Trump wants the government to back a 50-year mortgage option that would help address concerns about housing affordability. Federal Housing Finance Agency director Bill Pulte reportedly said it was “a complete game changer” for home-buyers. But is it actually a solution? Ed McKnight, economist at property investment firm Opes Partners, said it could be an expensive one over the long term,…

Read More

A disability advocate who relies on social media for work has had his long-standing Facebook account shut down for unspecified reasons.Meta — which owns Facebook — has told Blake Forbes the account breached its “community standards” — but he suspects he was targeted for his political activism.Late last month, he posted about the current review of the Total Mobility Scheme, which subsidises transport for people with disabilities — and called on Transport Minister Chris Bishop to listen to the community’s fears for its future.”Within an hour or two it got taken down. I appealed to get it back the next…

Read More

Tariffs have been removed from more than $2 billion worth of New Zealand’s exports to the United States, Trade Minister Todd McClay says.US president Donald Trump on Friday (US time) signed an executive order cancelling tariffs on a wide range of food imports, including New Zealand beef and kiwifruit.The new exemptions marked a sharp reversal, as Trump had long insisted his import duties were not fueling inflation for Americans.But McClay said climbing prices and declining supply may have prompted the president to change tack.”If you’re not getting as much beef coming in because of the tariff rate, there are shortages…

Read More

Waikato police are appealing for CCTV and dashcam footage from Te Aroha locals as concerns grow for the whereabouts of missing man Louis.The 44-year-old has been missing since November 13, when he was last seen around 10am, believed to be heading to the Tui Domain Track via the Hamilton Street entrance, at the base of Mount Te Aroha.”Since then, there have been no sightings of Louis despite our efforts to locate him,” said Detective Inspector Matt Cranshaw.”As time passes, we are getting more concerned for his wellbeing.”Cranshaw said officers have been searching around Te Aroha, with volunteers from Land Search…

Read More

The intertwined threads of skiing, travel and tourism have remained constant in Scott Callaway’s working life, writes Tim Cronshaw. When Scott Callaway took to the ski slopes in the 1970s, perfecting his next powdery turn was uppermost in his mind. That’s not to say the then-Christchurch youngster was short on ambition. For skiing would take him around the world over 26 consecutive winters. Later, it would lead him to senior roles in the Mount Cook Group, Coronet Peak and The Remarkables ski areas, Air New Zealand, AJ Hackett Bungy and more latterly Christchurch Airport. As an 18-year-old, that was all before him and passing…

Read More

The new leader of the newly-rebranded Opportunity Party says she will chase the 5% threshold at next year’s election as she looks to focus on connecting with voters rather than just releasing policy.Qiulae Wong, appointed leader after an application process, said she was frustrated with the state of politics and the lack of “ambitious, bold solutions” to challenges including climate change, long-term superannuation sustainability and housing affordability.The party has changed its name from the Opportunities Party (TOP) to “Opportunity”, stuck with the colour teal, and said it supports both business and the environment..Asked why she entered politics, Wong told Q+A…

Read More

Two Dunedin businesses are coming together to provide a one-stop-shop for all Pasifika goods. The former Wakari butchery Daveta meats will now be operating out of St Kilda Pasifika clothes and grocery store Island Fresh. Butcher Paula Suguturaga said the idea to collaborate came from “the struggle”. It made more economic sense to work together. Paying rent and the operational costs for his shop in Wakari was becoming difficult after he had a “hiccup” in August last year and could not find a slaughterhouse to send his livestock to. His business was shut for 11 months while he waited for…

Read More

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing, and other popular walks at Tongariro National Park, will reopen on Monday following a devastating fire last week. The fires began on November 8, and scorched through nearly 3000ha of conservation land and bush before being extinguished on November 12. The Department of Conservation’s (DOC) Central North Island operations director Damian Coutts said all tracks, excluding Mangatepopo Track, would reopen to visitors at 9am on Monday November 17 after being deemed safe by FENZ. He said that while it would take some time to assess and repair the damage, access to huts and tracks was almost back to normal.”We…

Read More